Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Table Etiquette!

Hello Friend!

How are you doing today? Had to study for my test yday (Twas good). My first healthy eating day went by really slowly as you can imagine. Stocked up on Cranberry juice but the rate at which I'm drinking it ...lol I may need a diet from the juice itself. Anyhow, apart from studying for the test, my day otherwise was dry which I really appreciated. I wanted to write about entertaining yday but didn't have enough time so I'm going to write about it today.

I love entertaining guests. Haven't done much of it though, and that might be the case for you too. But there's really not much excuse for not entertaining. I grew up learning how to set the table properly and all that, cos my grandma actually got some kind of hospitality training after/during her degree while my grandad was studying in Glasgow or something of the sort. Not quite clear on that gist. Anyway, she taught my mum and then my mum, me. At the time it was a pain cos I just didn't understand why I had to place each cutlery in one position or the other. Didn't particularly like 'setting the table'. I should have listened more to my grandma and mum then now I have to read about it to learn. I'm now trying to run a business doing exactly what I didn't like before. The irony of life. lol.

Anyway I got really good information from Martha Stewart's website. You'll need to know how to do this sometime, why not now? Having a formal lunch or dinner... Single or married... I think it'll be a nice way to mingle as singles as opposed to the usual things, and for married folks we know it's great for couples to mingle. Will also be nice to ask your boss and his/her spouse over to dinner, or have a formal bridal shower (luncheon) etc. Click on the images to view Martha's articles.

Funny how when you learn about things like this other issues come up like where do I get the china and other stuff like that. You can always improvise, I always do. It doesn't have to cost the most to look great I tell you (even Dollar store carries china okay!). And you don't have to worry about doing the dishes too (Just do it! lol).

For proper table manners from different countries. Click here.

You can actually tell a lot by a person's table manners (single girls take note!) lol. I didn't believe it but I guess there's some truth to it. I'm all about empowering Christian women. You can imagine going for a business luncheon, and knowing how to work the table as opposed to speaking loudly and seeking attention that is not necessary to cover up your lack of confidence at table etiquette or generally trying to follow what ur neighbour (person sitting next to u) is doing . So learning how to do a formal lunch or dinner is so useful. I mean you don't need to know it all, I don't think anyone should, unless you're an expert in the field or something. My general logic for today is 'learning the basics'.

Gotta go.

L8r

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

No comments:

Post a Comment